My Quick and Simple “Best-Ever” Chicken Parmesan
I’ve been making this recipe for years…. when I say years, I mean like, 6 years. But, to my credit, I’m only 26 and the age of 20 was when I really started cooking. To date, this is my go-to, my absolute best. At least so far.
I haven’t modified this recipe from another. I haven’t based it off of a something someone else created. I was not “taught” how to make this. Simply, I made a lot of not-so-good or just mediocre chicken parms until I found the perfect combination of steps and ingredients.
With that said, I use specific brands and ingredients for this one for a reason. I’ll state below, which ones I prefer, but of course, you should trust your own taste buds and buy what you prefer. I would not consider this recipe “fresh”, “clean”, or even all that healthy. I do not use “fresh” mozzarella, tomatoes, or spaghetti sauce. I use easily accessible ingredients because, in my opinion, this is what I’ve found to work for this recipe. I often make alternative versions of this recipe with fresh sliced mozz, homemade spaghetti sauce, and whole grain fettuccine – which tastes yummy – but this remains the most tasty! This meal is obviously on the heavier side but anything is okay in moderation, right? I use this one for a “cheat” or “reward” day but you could do a lot worse than this one from a nutrition standpoint 🙂
My Quick and Simple “Best Ever” Chicken Parmesan
– 4 6-8oz boneless skinless chicken breasts – about 1/4in thick
– salt and pepper
– 1/2 c. flour
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 c. italian bread crumbs
– 4 tbsp olive oil
– 1 large jar of Spaghetti Sauce (or 2 regular jars) – I recommend Prego Chunky Tomato, Onion, and Garlic
– Mozzarella cheese: 8 slices – I use Sargento slices but any sliced mozz will work wonderfully
– 2/3’s box of Spaghetti Noodles – Fettuccine is traditionally used with this meal but I prefer linguine or spaghetti instead, use whatever you like 🙂
1. Preheat oven to 350. Salt and pepper chicken to taste. Prepare a “breading station”. You’ll need 2 plates and a medium-sized mixing bowl. Spread flour on first plate, wisk eggs in the bowl, and lastly, spread the bread crumbs on the second plate.
2. Bread chicken breasts individually – Coat both sides of each breast with a flour, pat of excess. Dip in egg mixture, let excess drip off. Coat boat sides with bread crumbs. Pat each side so crumbs are firmly stuck. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. When skillet is hot, fry chicken breasts until golden brown, flipping once. About 3 minutes per side.
4. While chicken cooks, spray baking dish with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray. Spread an even coating of spaghetti sauce along the bottom surface of the baking dish. When chicken is finished browning, place in baking dish.
5. Spoon spaghetti sauce on top of the chicken breasts. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water over high heat and cook noodles as directed. On a separate burner, simmer the remaining sauce in a medium saucepan.
7. When sauce begins to bubble or brown (10-15 mins), remove from the oven and turn on the broiler. Place mozzarella on top of the chicken and place chicken back in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the chicken at this point as the cheese can burn quickly. Remove from the oven when the cheese is bubbling and brown.
8. Serve and Enjoy 🙂
Nutrition: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 c. sauce, and 1/2 c. spaghetti
I really hope you enjoy this one 🙂 Thank you for stopping by!