Four weeks have flown by! Month one of Insanity Max:30 is finished and I have for you a brief review. I also outlined the Sweat Intervals workout video (pictures provided!) – this is a basic (I said basic – not easy 😉 ) cardio video so you can have a little taste of the program.
So far, so good. It’s intense – “insane” even 😉 It does remind me quite a bit of insanity. Here’s how it differs from insanity:
- The warm-ups are short. Instead of three rounds, there’s just two.
- There’s no 5-6 minute stretching after the warm-up, sometimes you get a 30 sec break, other times you go right into the workout.
- The stretch at the end is brief and not included in the 30 minute workout
- The schedule stays pretty much the same the entire month (except for mid-month when Tabata Power is replaced with Tabata Strength on Tuesdays and Thursdays).
- The program is 5 days per week (Mon-Fri). Saturdays are optional, there’s a “pulse” video included (I haven’t tried…)
- It’s faster paced with less breaks. Your heart rate is up the entire time!
- I’d even say that he kicked it up a notch – the exercises are slightly harder, I feel like I’m getting a better workout in a shorter amount of time.
- It’s a great workout- I find each day to be challenging and I love it.
- You will get results! I have- month one is done and I feel like I’m back to where I was pre-holiday 😉 I’m excited (and scared) for month 2.
- Challenging – ShaunT makes your 30 minutes worth it big time!
- My biggest complaint is that there’s not enough ab work. There’s a ton of cardio, core, and heavy squat/lunge work. I suppose this is why he includes an additional “ab attack” video (which I also haven’t tried). There have been nice changes in my “core” but the toning and definition that I developed with T25 and P90x3 is fading.
Here’s an example of one of the Insanity Max:30 Workouts. This is the “Wednesday” work-out for Month One.
Side note: I did the work-out, and then went back and took the photos of each exercise. I’ve never photographed myself doing work-outs, if I ever do again I’ll work on trying to get them less blurry and place myself in more helpful angles.
Also, I haven’t jumped on the “wearing make-up to the gym to go with my cute outfit with catchy quote on the shirt” bandwagon. When I workout, I work, so please excuse my appearance….
Warm-up: do each exercise for 30 secs each and then repeat the sequence
– Open chest jack: Begin by standing up straight, legs together. Arms up level with the shoulders, elbows bent up at a 90 degree angle. Jump out as though you are doing a jumping jack, arms follow. Return to starting position. Do this as fast as you can for 30 seconds.
– Jack uppercut: begin standing up, feet together. Jump out as though you are doing a jumping jack, throw a jack punch with your left arm. Jump back in. Repeat this, as fast as you can, alternating sides, for 30 secs.
– 1-2-3 Knee: Begin standing up straight, arms out at your sides, Take 3 steps (skips) to the right, landing with your left knee up and tap it with your right hand, reverse skipping 3 steps to the left, end with your right knee up and tap with your left hand. Repeat, as fast as you can for 30 secs.
– Crossjack: Similar-ish to a jumping jack except arms are down when legs jump out, legs crisscross each time you jump back in and only one arm goes up in the air. Do this, alternating arms, as fast as you can, for 30 secs.
– High Knee Jab: High knees, alternating punches, do as many as you can for 30 secs.
Interval One: Each exercise is 30 secs long, do each sequence 3 times
– High Jump cross: No photo for this one. Stand straight up, feet together. Jump up in the air, arms reaching up. Pivot to the right and throw a cross jab. Repeat alternating sides, for 30 secs.
– Squat lunge: Exactly as it sounds. Squat, hop up to standing, hop back to lunge. The first set you lunge with right leg back, second set with left leg back, third set alternating sides. Do as many as you can while keeping good form for 30 secs.
– Push-up punch: Self explanatory. Do a push-up, then punch. Repeat, doing as many high quality reps as you can in 30 secs.
Interval Two: Each exercise is 30 secs long. Repeat the sequence 3x.
– Moving squat jabs: No photo. Begin in a squat. Remain in a squat position as you hop to the right, throwing 2 jabs with alternating arms) as you do. No reverse movement and hop squat back to the left, throwing 2 jabs as you do. Repeat for 30 secs.
– Wide pike-ups: Plank position with legs spread about shoulder distance. Hop up into a pike. Hop back down. Repeat for 30 secs.
– Hurdle drill: Begin down in a runners stance. Right leg bent forward, left leg back, left arm on the ground. Hop up and hurdle jump to the left, landing in a runner’s stance with right leg back. Reverse movement and repeat for 30 secs.
– Hop hop runner: Begin standing straight up, 2 hops to the right, landing in a runner’s position with left leg back and leg arm crossed in front of you, balancing on your right leg. Reverse this movement and repeat for 30 secs.
– Power Jump + Squat Push-up: Power Jump (squat position, jump up in the air bringing knees to chest, hands slap knees, land back in squat position. From there, lower yourself forward to the floor and do a push-up. Repeat this as many times as you can, with good form, for 30 secs.
– Switch Kick Punch: Begin in a standing position, elevate left leg straight out up to hip height while punching with right arm. Alternate sides. This is a running movement, one leg is in the air at all times. Do this as long as you can for 30 secs.
– Free runner: Begin standing straight up, bend knees slightly and spring straight up raising arms in the arm. Legs scissor split. Repeat for 30 secs.
– Ski ab power knee: Plank position. Right leg steps in towards the left arm. Bring left knee in to right elbow. Move left leg back to plank position and follow with right leg. Do this for 30 secs. Second set is right side, third set is simple ski-abs from insanity.
– Squat oblique knee: Squat, hop up bringing right knee up to your chest, bring arms down around knee. Return to squat and alternate oblique knee to the left. 30 secs.
– Burpee Lunge: Simple, hop down into a plank position, bring feet into chest and hop up, hope back into lunge with right leg back. Second set left leg goes back into lunge. Third set is alternating left/right lunges.
– Hit the floor: Simple, from the original insanity, bend left knee, reach down with your right hand and touch the floor, hop up and reverse movement to the right. Repeat for 30 secs.
– Crossjack Jab: Final exercise, (and no picture, sorry!) Stand straight up legs together, jump out and jab twice, once with each arm. Jump back in with legs crossed (left in front of right). Repeat, alternating which leg ends up crossed in front, for 30 secs.
– Don’t forget to do the cooldown stretch!!!! It’s very important!
Thank you for stopping by! Was this helpful? Let me know!